1. If they want to loan you money, tell them you just filed for bankruptcy and you could sure use some money. Ask, "How long can I keep it? Do I ever have to pay it back, or is it like the other money I borrowed before my bankruptcy?"
2. If you get one of those pushy people who won't shut up, just listen to their sales pitch. When they try to close the sale, tell them that you'll need to go get your credit card. Then just set the phone down and go do laundry, shopping or whatever. See how long that commission-hungry person waits for you to get your credit card.
3. If they start out with, "How are you today?" say, "Why do you want to know?" Or you can say, "I'm so glad you asked, because no one seems to care these days, and I have all these problems. My sciatica is acting up, my eyelashes are sore, my dog just died…." When they try to get back to the sales process, just continue on with talking about your problems.
4. If the person says he's Joe Doe from the ABC Company, ask him to spell his name, then ask him to spell the company name, then ask where it's located. Continue asking personal questions or questions about the company for as long as necessary.
5. This one works better if you are male: Telemarketer: "Hi, my name is Julie, and I'm with Dodger & Peck Services." You: "Hang on a second" (few seconds pause). "Okay (in a really husky voice), what are you wearing?"
6. Crying out, in well-simulated tones of pleasure and surprise: "Julie!! Is this really you? I can't believe it! Julie, how have you BEEN?" Hopefully, this will give Julie a few brief moments of terror as she tries to figure out where the heck she could know you from.
7. Say "no" over and over. Be sure to vary the sound of each no, and keep an even tempo even as the telemarketer is trying to speak. This is the most fun if you can keep going until they hang up.
8. If MCI calls trying to get you to sign up with their Friends and Family plan, reply, in as sinister a voice as you can muster, "I don't have any friends. Would you be my friend?"
9. If they clean rugs: "Can you get blood out? You can? Well how about goat blood or HUMAN blood? Chicken blood too?"
10. Let the person go through their spiel, providing minimal but necessary feedback in the form of an occasional "Uh-huh," "Really" or "That's fascinating." Finally, when they ask you to buy, ask them to marry you. They'll get all flustered, but just tell them you couldn't give your credit- card number to someone who's a complete stranger.
11. Tell them you work for the same company they work for. Example: Telemarketer: "This is Bill from Widget & Associates." You: "Widget & Associates!! Hey I work for them too. Where are you calling from?" Telemarketer: "Uh, Dallas, Texas." You: "Great, they have a group there too? How's business/ the weather? Too bad the company has a policy against selling to employees! Oh well, see ya."
12. Tell the telemarketer you are busy, and if they will give you their phone number you will call them back. If they say they are not allowed to give out their number, then ask them for their home number and tell them you will call them at home (this is usually the most effective method of getting rid of telemarketers). If the person says, "Well, I don't really want to get a call at home," say, "Ya! Now you know how I feel."
Submitted by: Rob